Photo Blog

Darla Teagarden's Photo Blog

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Thousand Gestures In One Frame :

Hand-made Optical Toy

SHISHIGAMI~

Like most, I'm distressed about the  BP oil leak, so I decided to pay homage to Mother Nature by creating my own version of Japanese Director Hayao Miyazaki's  forest spirit character, SHISHI-GAMI.  This character , in short, is a combination of goat and deer, life and death.


In the gallery to your right are some images of each component created essentially for one frame. I love the idea of ephemera and it's fragile often one use nature. The optical toy ,Thaumatrope ( I made with paper and ink),  seemed a perfect way for this character to speak in my image. ''Thaumatrope Prophecy'' shows the toy at work
( eye in a cage) communicating Shishi's notion that human beings will continue to look through spaces yet remain imprisoned, unable to be free to except their role as savior. ...Her violin ( another way to speak) tells of hope *Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - *I will either find a way or make one*.


I created a white Angora wig and used real deer horns, lacing them with crystals.  I often use a dummy head to paint on my make up concepts before my shoots so I may gain a better idea of the whole picture. Glittered paper hooves suggest whats underneath the gown created by designer Christine Hall.


.....Christine is a wonderful artist who has created a line of  high quality bustle gowns as well as movie inspired gowns. You can find them here: http://www.ckhall.com/. I chose the lovely white mourning gown and love it's delicate pleats and Mandarin-like collar.


Mushrooms are among literature's mysterious and romanticized objects. They promise hallucination, death,
a marker for other worldly lands, or simple sustenance.; fast growing, yet delicate. I sculpted dozens of faux fungi out of chalky clay and cut a lattice pattern to adorn their tops. They are so cute I'm still trying to decide what their next life will  be.I can't just toss them!


Mushroom Making




Make-up by Darla




Shishi model was Wednesday Mourning. A soulful person with silent  movie star eyes. I enjoyed working with her very much on two shoots (Hellequin Lapine *hell rabbit* and this) and appreciate her willingness under duress ( being blind folded above sharp brambles and strapped with dangerously heavy horns) and alabaster doll-like beauty.


Cutting Lattice Pattern For Mushroom Tops


Gown: Christine Hall




SHISHI GAMI
See all photos here